Monday, December 17, 2007

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost
Please click on link to see poem: http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html

12. Explain how this poem “speaks to you.”

When I read this poem, the last line always stands out to me (I’m sure this was intended). Though Robert Frost mentions two paths in his poem, the concept of choosing the right path resonates with me. When he says, “And sorry I could not travel both,” he tells his reader that one must make choices. Instead of worrying about what choices I could have made that would have made me a better person, I have to take a chance and make a decision even though I may not be sure how the other road turned out. In order to take risks and not regret the road not taken, one should be at ease with a decision as inferred by “I doubted if I should ever come back.” With the knowledge of experience this poem has provided, I heed Frost’s advice and will try to take risks and not bemoan the other path I could have taken. By being brave enough to venture out of the comfort zone, I can utilize opportunities I never would have discovered “And that has made all the difference.”

No comments: